Friday, August 30, 2013

This is how we roll

If you've ever been to a Forrest Yoga class you've seen it.

You may have heard your Yogi friends talk about it.

You might have even experienced it.

The Forrest Yoga rolled-up mat, or the "Froll" as I like to call it, serves a very specific point in your practice.

I have students ask me all the time (particularly students new to Forrest Yoga) why we use the roll, and although I've given some basic answers, "it massages your intestines," "it provides a great assist in backbends," etc etc I started to ask myself, why do we use the roll? I'm a very dogmatic person. I find something I'm passionate about and I follow it without asking any questions. Well, this makes me very susceptible to buying into cult-like behavior [which is creepy] so I've made it a personal goal to start questioning why I do what I do. I trust the creatrix Ana Forrest knows exactly what she's doing, there's no question in that. But in order for me to speak authentically and with integrity, I simply need to know why. So I did some research and put together some reasons I'm much prouder to share.

1). Aids in blood circulation...

Pressure point therapy uses ancient acupressure trigger points to release tension
and increase the circulation of blood, heightening the body's vital life energy
to aid healing.  Acupuncture and acupressure use the same points, but acupuncture
 employs needles, while acupressure uses gentle but firm finger pressure. 
Acupressure relieves pain, trauma, burnout, and maintains good health
through self-care. By relaxing the body and relieving stress, acupressure
 strengthens resistance to disease and promotes wellness.

 
 The roll serves as an acupressure tool to help restore life and vitality to the abdominal region. And, no, pressure point therapy does not feel like a Swedish massage. The article cited above continues to explain that a general guideline to pressure point therapy is the "hurts so good feeling." You might have even heard that said in your Forrest Yoga class by your teacher. Sometimes, I get a tingling or numb feeling in my legs. That's not unrelated. 
 
Sometimes when you hold a point, you'll feel pain in another part of your
body. This phenomenon is called referred pain and indicates that those
areas are related. You should press points in these related areas as
 well to release energy blockages that create pressure, numbness, or pain.
 
We also hold deep emotion in our intestines. This is where the roll can help with releasing blockages - both emotionally and physically....
 
2).  Aids in digestion....
 
No, that doesn't mean you should lie over the roll right after eating! This is actually directly related to the reason above. When we increase the circulation of blood in our bodies it aids in healing and digestion.
 
Most of the energy and fluids used for digestion are supplied through the
 blood. Thus, digestion is only as strong as the blood and circulation
 to digestive organs. Work, emotion, stress and even conversation pull blood
 from digestion.
 
Working over the rolled up mat releases tension and stress - by way of acupressure - which in turn, increases the vitality of blood flow in our bodies - which then, in turn, helps us digest more effectively. 
 


3).  Aids in healing emotional blockages...
 
 We have an epidemic of eating disorders that plagues our society. Lets face it, and not ignore the big pink elephant in the room. I myself am a recovering anorexic; as well as a woman who is still trying to find feeling and healing throughout my whole body. Going over the roll triggers an intense feeling in our bellies {an area we now subconsciously and permanently maintain pretty sucked in}.  It reminds us that first of all, that our mid-section exists; and secondly, it helps break up any emotional baggage we carry in our guts. Sometimes, after going over a roll, I get teary, or I laugh, or I get very angry - that's pent up emotion being released.
 
I also find that the roll, although, not the most pleasurable experience - begins to break up the scarred tissue I have in my belly from days of mistreating and malnourishing {or not nourishing} my body. It works away at the scarred tissue, just like cross-fibering releases myofascial tissue in your IT band. 
 
You will feel your pulse in your belly while over the roll. That's the blood quickly flushing into your belly - it's a bizarre feeling - one which makes me realize how lucky I am to have a properly functioning, perfectly-imperfect beautiful body. This feeling of life force generated in my belly by going over the roll also really helps to bridge the gap between my upper body {which I've always loved} and my lower body {which I'm learning to love}.
 
You could most definitely say the roll helps you release your s*#t - literally, and metaphorically. It's the easiest, fastest, and cheapest cleanse around.
 
These are just a few very compelling reasons to work with the roll. They are ones that resonated strongly with me, and empowered me to speak with integrity about this healing work we do in Forrest Yoga.
 
There are other reasons we use the roll. In classes sequenced for backbends, you will most likely find a good amount of roll work in your salutations. The roll helps to assist the practitioner in lengthening their spine, and more particularly, lengthening the tailbone away from the ribs to prevent low-back crunching.

 
Kristen Lovelace, a senior Forrest Yoga teacher, and a beloved mentor of mine loves the roll for this very reason,
 
one of my favorite benefits is that it releases the psoas and relieves
tension and pain in the sacrum and low back.

The roll may not be for everyone, or it may not work for you all the time. A few years ago I had a cervical procedure which left me quite sensitive in my core, and some days, I'm more sensitive than others. Working over a softer rolled up towel, or over a bolster is a great modification! I still get a strong pulse in my belly; and these softer roll versions give my gut a gentler massage.

It's important to recognize the important role our gut plays in our lives. Have you ever heard the term "what can't you stomach?" Well, that works on an emotional level just as much as it does on the physical.  Use the roll to learn about your body and what it needs.  Who knows, next time you lay over the roll maybe you'll groan a little less, and smile a little more.

Learn to make your own Froll by visiting fellow Forrest Yoga teacher, Anne Haskett's site!

websites used to write this blog post:
http://www.acupressure.com/applications/pressure_point_therapy.htm
&
http://www.joyfulbelly.com/Ayurveda/article/%20Digestion-Blood-Flow/952

Photo credit:
Charlie McDonald
www.charliemcdonaldphotography.com





 



No comments:

Post a Comment