Tuesday, January 22, 2013

"Clean" Banana Muffins

My Sunday LOL meetings (LOL - Live Out Loud) have also inspired me to add recipes to my blog.

One of my big passions is cooking - especially baking! My friends often ask me what I eat to keep a balanced/healthy life. Not to get too deep in this post, but I come from a background of struggling with an eating disorder. If I'm not mindful, I starve. This being said, I need to prep my meals for my really busy schedule so I make sure I eat.

As a yoga teacher, I view food as fuel for my body. I want to teach quality classes as well as generate creativity and inspiration to keep evolving. I strongly suggest getting in tune with your body and listening to it. See what foods sit well with you and which ones don't. Currently, eating gluten-free and healthy protein has been feeling great for me. I used to be vegan for 5 years. While I love vegan food, the diet did not serve my body well.

Anyway, here's an awesome Banana Muffin Recipe I love for a quick bite on my way out to teach or to take a Yoga class!



Clean/ Gluten Free Banana Muffins

I've modified this recipe by substituting greek yogurt with almond yogurt. I try to stay away from dairy so that's why I changed it up. It's tastes great with the greek yogurt if that agrees with your body! 

Ingredients

*2 /1/2 cup oats (old fashioned kind, not quick cooking)
*1 single serving cup of plain low fat greek yogurt
*2 eggs
*3/4 cup sweetener - honey or 2 tbs stevia sweetener
*1 1/2 tsp baking powder
*1/2 tsp baking soda
*2 bananas

Optional: You can also add chopped blueberries or strawberries to the batter AFTER it has been in the blender. 

 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray tin with non-stick cooking spray or line 12 muffin tins with silicone or foil liners, (or just use a silicone muffin pan). ( Note: Paper liners seem to stick a lot to flourless muffins, so your best bet if you don't have silicone is to spray the muffin tin and go linerless. Don't use paper muffin cups! )
2. Place all of the ingredients, including bananas in a blender or food processor, and blend until oats are smooth. 
3. Divide batter among cupcake liners, and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.


Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment