Sunday, January 27, 2013

Coconut Oil

I'm pretty in love with coconut oil these days. Really any coconut product - milk, water, oil, and yes...even yogurt!! So I thought I'd share some of the ways in which coconut products are incredibly beneficial for your health and wellness.

When my hair is feeling pretty dry I'll use handful of coconut oil and work it from the ends of my hair up. Then I'll throw it up in a bun and leave it in for at least 6 hours. Do this once or twice a week for a month and your hair will love you!



I just got back from my first Forrest Yoga Mentorship weekend today. I am beyond grateful for the experience and can't even find the words to process how amazing it was!! A recommendation given to me (and my fellow trainees) was to rub oil all over the body before showering - as a one minute pre-shower ritual to show the body some love, and to start to "wake-up" the parts of the body that are shut down or "dead" (i.e. pelvic floor, hips, feet, stomach etc). I tried this tonight and have to say...it's nice! It made me more aware of all the parts of my body, and how grateful I was to have them. It was also nice to show my body gratitude for all it does by massaging sore spots with the oil. I used all organic coconut oil. What's great is that the shower rinses most of it off but afterwards the skins maintains enough moisture so you can bypass the lotion!



Finally, one of my favorite uses for coconut oil - food. I made this raw pie a few weeks ago and have been craving it ever since. If you're a choco-holic (like myself) you'll LOVE this pie! Plus it's good for you! I love finding recipes that use no sugar, no soy, no gluten, and no wheat. Enjoy!!



Raw Chocolate Mousse Pie

Adapted from simply raw by joel odhner
The particulars:
  • 2 cups shredded coconut
  • 2 cups pitted dates
  • 2-3 ripe avocados (YES AVOCADOS)
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
  • 1/2 cup raw honey or maple syrup
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup carob powder
  1. To make the crust, mix the coconut and dates in the food processor until a sticky, dough-like substance forms. This might take a minute or so. Tip the mixture into a springform cake tin (or any tin with a removable base) and press into the bottom and sides. Make sure it is even and that it comes up the sides about an inch.
  2. Prepare the filling by first mashing the avocados in a bowl until there aren’t any big lumps. Transfer to the food processor and add the coconut oil, honey/syrup, and powders. Process until smooth – the end result should look (and taste!) like chocolate mousse.
  3. Pour the filling into the prepared crust and smooth out with a knife or spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
  4. To serve, remove plastic wrap and re-smooth with the knife or spatula, and decorate with raspberries (or any fruit you want!)
 
 
Happy Sunday!! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment